Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Aayirathil Oruvan

Firstly, Before giving some credits to the director to have tried a different genre for Tamil Cinema, One must appreciate my guts to have gone to watch this movie with my family. When I say My family, that includes my wife and MY PARENTS.

Well, I have been hearing all negative reviews about the movie Aayirathil Oruvan. I have no idea why people expect something clean from Selva. Probably the promotions / teasers misled the audience to believe that the movie is a fiction, fantasy or all other genres that I hate to watch in a Hollywood movie. Probably people expected it to be like Harry Potter series or a time travelling story. Yes, Whatever the genre could be, but the movie is hand written by Selva. You just cannot get rid of his own glamorously-appealing-style. Be it a whatever-genre-movie it is.

Things one must appreciate:
1. To have thought about such a perplexed story & present it with this genre.
2. To have granted this story to our Tamil Audience.
3. Music, especially the BGM, by GVP.
4. Cinematography.
5. Parthiban's acting. I guess all these days he has been wasting his efficience.
6. For not casting his brother Dhanush. lol. Trust me, I am not kidding. Trust me again, I liked Pudhupettai. I still would rate Pudhupettai as #1 of all Selva's movies.
7. Few comedy scenes.

Things that were really bizarre:
1. Stunts were not at all professional. I dont know which decade Selva is in now. Cos, even for a 100% commercial movie, people hire professional stunt crew.
2. Could have avoided few Selva kinda scenes.
3. Could have explained the 7 dangers at least in the end.

Though the hostile comments from me are very less in numbers, few blunders were too obvious and easily noticeable. During the audio launch speech, he was irritatingly saying not to match tamizh movies with hollywoods'. Rather, he wants hollywood to match with thamizh. Dude, you must not make those blunders in stunt sequences, if you want to match with someone or someone else want to match with you. I would not say those blunders were unintentional, rather I call them careless errors.

People say he has given the pieces of many English movies. Come on, even few scenes were like Avtar. But the movie was done long before Avtar was released. Have some heart and try to appreciate movies of this genre.

People whom I know very well, would know that I would have not even cared to watch this movie if it was an English movie. Only reason I watched this movie was cos this was for Tamil Audience in tamil from Tamizh people.
Final word is, it is definitely not a bad movie. It comes under the category, can watch it once.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hey bro... wen ever u come up wit a review im always here to contradict... but this time around things might change a lil.. coming back to the movie- even i heard a lot of negative comments. but im a firm believer of selvas work.... i heard tat many scenes wer deleted in de 2nd half in order to make it a racy flick.. i appreciate it cos now actually its a racy for its kinda genre..\
wat is most amazing to c was de ground work an literature study.. folks no can deny it... especially de purest form of language.... i was lil ashamed of myself that im not able to figure out most of the words(yeah i had an interpreter) and karthi umm wat to say... second feather in his cap... reema's work meant to be appreciated...many say story is confusing.. yeah i agree but y don we use our lil brain so that our penny gets its full worth...
its worth experimenting.... i think this de second stone for tamil films growth.. cos i always feel kamal is de first step..
i would rate 4/5 mainly for its emphasis on ancient tamil culture... and its bgm an effects...
i wud reduce one mark jus because its not a flawless piece..

Raghav said...

Well karthy. 4 out of 5 just for good literature reasearch and bgm.
And one more thing, there is nothing wrong to feel ashamed for not being able to figure out few words. We hardly use them. And the term 'research' makes me to ask many questions. Vairamuthu had already helped in many dialogues. And before the movie started he clearly mentioned there was nothing like this during Chozha period. Dont know what else he was researching for years. Only good thing, he had the guts to take up a movie of this genre. He crossed half way. He dares to go beyond that point as well. He should be appreciated.

Unknown said...

I watched the movie y'day(2/2), i got to have few interruptions in the middle. But my mind & soul was fully on the movie and want travel along the story. Determined to watch it completely before i go to bed.

I wud say this movie made me feel proud for tamil ethnicity & dravidian culture recorded in celluloid, a new stepping stone in Tamil cinema of its ages.

I completely agree with Ragav's call out on all positives of the movie. Hats off to karthi,Rema,parthiban and of course Selva & crew!!

No matter how others criticize this movie, I wud go for THUMBS UP... Great attempt.